Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revisiting season expectations now that the season has reached the half-way mark
Good OP. Good time to re-evaluate.

In a weird way, things have been both better and worse than I anticipated. I am less excited about this season but more excited long term. Though more wins may hurt us via our draft pisition. Our record is on track to be where I thought it would, but only because the NFC East and Houston suck so much worse than expected.

IIRC, I predicted 6-10. Thinking 5-5 outside the division and 1-5 inside. We are 2-2-1 outside the division & 0-3 in it. But I thought we had PO upside. Thought we'd split with the Browns and beat SD, so down two wins there. And I thought wins vs Philly & Indy were possible. We whiffed on those, snatching defeat (oe a tie) from the jaws of victory each time, but got a bonus game vs Tenn. We SHOULD have 4 wins, min. A case can be made for 6.

Now, I think Dallas & Houston are much more winnable. Washington & NYG we should beat. Miami is winnable. If we win those we get to 7. If we catch the Ravens resting guys on the last day, I could see 8 wins, still. With all the injuries and coaching malpractice. Amazing.

But that is probably too optimistic. I doubt 8-7-1 makes the POs. And piling up wins likely takes us out of getting one more stud in the draft (Sewell, Parsons, Chase, Surtain). And likely prevents any of the staff getting canned, particularly Lou/Turner.

The biggest positives.

1) Burrow is legit. Just think what he could do with a real O-line, a deep threat, a legit receiving TE, and a consistent running game.

2) The offense is legit. Four 30 point games. Including 3 of the last 5. Could have gotten 30 vs the Cokts but a late FG didn't help us.

3) The FO/coaches hit on the draft. Yeah, Burrow was a no-brainer. But Higgins is good and Logan Wilson looks legit too. Hitting on 1, 2, & 3 is a good draft. Adeniji makes it look even better. ADG & Kareem look like depth pieces, but not overwhelmed. Plus, Jonah being decent to good as a rook and Sample contributing some make last year's draft look better. Pratt, Jordan, Finley, Wren, & T. Williams all still here.

3) Bates is legit.

4) ZT is getting better at play calling.

Negatives:
1) Injuries
2) Both lines
3) Linebackers
4) Lou & the defense.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Revisiting season expectations now that the season has reached the half-way mark - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 11-02-2020, 04:06 AM