Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Burrow weekly Ranking Cancelled
When you look at Drew Sample's numbers they leave a lot to be desired on their own. This is not the type of production in the pass game you expect out of a 2nd year TE, who was drafted in the 2nd round.

When you look at his numbers, and then consider the following, they become all the more concerning:

-Joe Burrow has more pass attempts than any other QB. (More pass attempts equals more opportunity for receiving stats)

-Drew Sample has run more total routes than all but 2 TE's. (He's not staying in and blocking all of the time)

-Our offense is designed for a lot of quick, short and underneath throws. (This usally spells opportunity for the TE)

-Our only other quality TE was injured in week 2. (He's seeing the field more than initially intended/He has no quality competition in the pass game)

For whatever reason, he's just not producing. You may attribute that to his inability to get open, or you may think it's the coaching staff and play calling that is causing this. Regardless, the use just isn't there.

Even when I throw all of the above out the window, and just watch him with my eyes, he looks the part of what many thought he was; someone that was drafted way too early. He doesn't look dynamic in any way, and his hands aren't great.

He's not some sort of matchup nightmare. He's a guy who, even when he's produced somthing, is catching balls 8 yards and in. He's looked downright terrible in the Red Zone. If you wanted a TE who you can dump off a 6 yard pass to you could have gotten them much, much later.

To each their own, but he's only solidified my opinion of him from last year. (He was a terrible pick) He's been healthy, he's seeing the field a ton, and he's doing virtually nothing. That may change, but I don't know how anyone could be encouraged by his performance thus far.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Joe Burrow weekly Ranking Cancelled - Wes Mantooth - 11-04-2020, 05:51 PM