Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My gut feeling is that our run defense problems are tied directly to Lou Anarumo
(11-10-2020, 11:41 PM)jason Wrote: 1. I'd change a lot of things... Covid be damned.

2. You're right... We need to nail it in the next draft. I think we did pretty well in 2020. I see 2 future stars and at the very least a future starter at LB.

3. Everybody plays everybody tough... We need to quit hangin' our hats on that.

4. Nobody had a preseason.

5. Hell no... If we're picking that high get the best playmaking pass rusher available, and call it a day. Sign O line help. We don't have time to develop the whole damn roster. Tick tock on Burrow's rookie contract... Tick tock.
I'll put your 1 and 4 together.   The Bengals were just awful in 2018 and all coaches fired.  In 2019 new coaches but you have to give them some years to bring in new players and replace the awful Bengals players. 2020 draft of Burrow and Higgins.   BUT THE LAST PLACE REBUILDING BENGALS NEEDED PRESEASON MORE THAN TEAMS LIKE SUPER BOWL CHIEFS.  So you can't say " Nobody had a preseason" and use that as a reason to fire coaches, because not all teams are in a complete rebuild like Bengals.   In a Rebuild you need preseason more, so you can't say " Covid be damned ".  

Your #3 is wrong.  Every team has NOT played everybody tough.  The Bengals have only had one bad game in Rebuild 2020, at Ravens who are a play-off team that did not need preseason.  The Bengals are playing better than 2019 or 2018.   Boomer Esiason and other announcers saying The Future Looks Bright For Bengals.   Nobody was saying that in 2019, 2018 or 2017.   So hats or no hats to hang, The Rebuild is taking shape, and the Bengals are playing teams closer than they did the last 3 years.  

On #5,  there really is no pass rusher slated to be a TOP 5 Pick at this time.  Mostly QBs and WR in TOP 5.   Teams will be dying to move up to get a QB or WR in TOP 5,  and Bengals could trade down, get a lower Round 1 and hopefully an extra Round 2, and we will have an early 3 like a 2....So with a Round 1, Two picks in Round 2 and a Pick in 3 around pick 70,  Bengals should be able to load up on TOP TALENT at DL, LB, OL. and get Tough In The Trenches. 

I agree with you on #2...We agree.  The Bengals have to NAIL THE DRAFT....They stink in the Trenches, not due to coaching, but lack of talent.  We have some pretty lousy O Line and D Line players only in NFL because Bengals had to bring in whoever they could. The O Line Blocking and Front 7 Defense needs an Upgrade of talent in the 2020 draft.  4 picks by pick 70 should help greatly. For example : Pick 15, Pick 37, Pick 50, Pick 69....That should fill the O Line and D Line with talent and a LB.

In the end we both like our Bengals.  I just feel that in the complete Rebuild, the last thing we needed was this screwy Covid season of 2020.  These new coaches have only had the 2019 preseason and 2 drafts.  I say the coaches need more time than that to rebuild this team.  Boomer and other announcers like how Bengals are starting to look, and I agree.....Keep the coaches, get more new players in The Draft. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: My gut feeling is that our run defense problems are tied directly to Lou Anarumo - kevin - 11-11-2020, 11:23 AM