Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Zak needs 1 more year to change culture
It takes a lot of guts to defend ZT on this board. Internet message boards are notoriously populated by the angriest fans. I give Superbowlbound credit just for taking that position publicly.

I didn't like the ZT hire in the first place, but a year and a half in here's what I see as the three things holding us back the most, in this order:

1. The majority of our cap room going to unproductive players - AJ, Geno, until recently Dunlap.

2. Because we couldn't hire ZT until after the Super Bowl we had last dibs on assistants. Anarumo holds us back more than ZT. This can change, but I worry that ZT is too nice of a guy to change it.

3. ZT's inexperience. He's made a lot of terrible decisions, but he's a self-reflective guy who can grow as a head coach. I'm not defending him, I'm just allowing for the possibility of growth. If we're worried about the window of Burrow's rookie contract, well then a new HC is going to mean new schemes and bringing in "his guys" all over again. Two steps back to take three steps forward, and by then Burrow is making $40 million a year. I get it, not running the ball more yesterday was dumb, the 3rd and 1 give to Perine at Indy was nuttier than hell, but at this point the question is whether ZT will learn from it.

It must makes more sense to me to fix #1 and #2 before canning ZT. I wanted Bienemy too but I also understand that championship teams are built over time. I don't care what the Dolphins are doing because they don't have 1 and 2 holding them back.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Zak needs 1 more year to change culture - Geno_Can_Dunk - 11-16-2020, 01:31 PM