Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump, where do you stand on him now?
(11-18-2020, 05:46 PM)Dill Wrote: It is difficult to give Trump a "full throated defense," yet Stonyhands, Other Mike, SunsetBengal and others have certainly tried multiple times. And on many different threads with the normal back and forth, no one poster calling any other "fascist" or "racist" or "misogynist." 

I might throw Lucy and Vlad in there too, though they are no longer with us. 

And check out the discussion in threads like this:
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Why-Is-Trump-s-Wall-A-Bad-Thing?page=7&highlight=center+for+immigration

And this: 
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Does-Trump-inspire-hate-from-his-followers?pid=779857&highlight=othermike#pid779857

And this: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Whistle-Blower%E2%80%99s-Complaint-Is-Said-to-Involve-Multiple-Acts-by-Trump?pid=766677&highlight=guatemala#pid766677

And this: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Obama-Shames-Voters?page=6&highlight=misogyny

Civil back and forth going on for pages. I can multiply examples. 

The overall tendency has been to argue against Trump, and Trump supporters, with data, facts, logical, legal and historical arguments.

Maybe in the past, but certainly not of late.  No, I'm not going to pull up a bunch of threads to support this, not because I can't but because I don't care to take the time to do so.  If you choose to view that as my being incapable because they don't exist, that's fine.  

Quote:When it comes to name calling, I am not an "offender" at all. Period. 

I didn't say you name called, although I can see how one would get that from the way my post was worded.

Quote:"Condescension" again--your vaguest and most mysterious charge against me.  Have I ever responded to any one's post with "TL;DR"? Have I  ever announced that I am "laughing" at other posters or that I find their arguments "amusing"? 

It's almost as if you think those are the only two ways to be condescending.  You don't display much self awareness in this regard.

Quote:In argument mode, I have been pretty careful to treat posters with respect, which includes defining my terms and re-explaining myself if understood--all of which has drawn condescension towards me from others. In parody mode, I speak as my opponents do, with their language, and with humor.

Ehh, like I said, you're certainly not the worst offender, but you're clearly not aware of how your posts come off.  I do understand that sometimes text on a screen can be interpreted differently than intended.

Quote:What doesn't engender honest discussion of a topic is declaring that people will be called "Fascists" or "misogynist" or "racist" if they defend Trump before anyone has even defended Trump, in a forum where that has not really been the case.

It's absolutely the case.  One of your buddies throws the racist term out at the drop of a hat.  As I said, Hollo has noticed it, and called it out, on numerous occasions, yet somehow you always miss it.

Quote:There is not a single person in this forum who thinks that you are a Trump supporter.

Oh my, that simply isn't true at all.  

Quote:And yet, no one has run "normalizing" interference for him more frequently than you, as if Trump critics were really the ones who make civil discourse difficult in the US today. 

Hahaha, I do love it when people make my point for me.  I dislike hypocrisy and hyperbole, hence my having issues with some of the hot takes on this board from time to time.  I suppose I'm a Trump "normalizer" but not a "supporter"?  I do love when the conversation veers into the semantic.

No need to respond further, I don't see anything being further resolved from this discussion.  You have your position and I have mine.  I suppose we'll wait and see how many Trump supporters respond to this bait thread to see who is correct.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump, where do you stand on him now? - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 11-18-2020, 06:08 PM