Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defensive scheme to blame for lack of pass rushing?
(11-20-2020, 02:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think the biggest proof that scheme makes a difference with pass rush is the way the Bengals have struggled in pass protection.  It seems to me that the Bengal O-linemen have more problems picking up stunts and blitzes than just being physically beaten one-on-one.  Lots of sacks given up just because the o-linemen don't properly pick up a twist or a loop from D-linemen.  And most of Baltimore's sacks came from DBs.  They certainly were not just running over our O-linemen.

Another important issue is the ability to disguise the blitz so that the offense does not see it coming.  That is an important skill for a DC.
One- I asked this question in another thread- is coaching the problem with our ass rush- so I am grateful to the OP.

Second- re your point Fred, is it easier to confuse the offense on what is coming from a 3-4 system than a 4-3.

Year after year, with a few exceptions, Pittsburgh and Baltimore have great Ds operating from a 3-4. they always get more pressure on the QB than the Bengals could dream of.

Why wouldn't we try to copy what the Steelers and Raven do?

Seattle's defense is not great this year but something is wrong in our River city when Carlos goes there and gets 3.5 sacks in three games versus none with Bengals.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Defensive scheme to blame for lack of pass rushing? - bengals67 - 11-20-2020, 06:15 PM