Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac Taylor's Job Not In Jeopardy Reports..
(11-24-2020, 10:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While everyone here is very emotional right now (and it is completely understandable), I have tried to take an honest look at ZT and here is what I come up with:

PROs:

I like the focus on culture and guys that come from winning programs.  

I like the fact that (for the most part) he doesn't play the guy that has been around the longest, just because he has been around the longest.  He plays the younger, more talented player in many cases.  However, he also seemingly won't tolerate mistakes.  Ross didn't get much run this year at all and that is a former #9 overall pick.  And they were struggling at WR with Green not doing much.  

He seems like a nice guy that most of the players like

CONS:

He abandons the running game way too early.  Sometimes it is like watching a kid play Madden.  Without WRs that generate quick separation, Burrow often found himself "behind the sticks" (3rd and long) and would be exposed to a lot of hits.  See first Cleveland game, Philly game, steeler game.

There is no consistency in his game.  He has a fantastic scheme to get Sample and Gio Bernard involved in the screen game where they completed 10 passes on 10 attempts for over 100 yards against the Browns the second game.  The offensive gameplan was stellar.  It was.  They only lost because they couldn't get one stop on defense.  Then, they don't face as strong a pass rush against Tennessee and Burrow picks them apart.  Back to a team with perhaps the best pass rush (pitt) and no screen game at all.  It just makes no sense.  Never saw it the first Cleveland game or against Philly where he was getting killed.

Defense?  What is that?   I get letting your coordinators run their show, but he doesn't seem to have any interest in working on that side of the ball.  Maybe tell his DC what he is seeing as an OC and help him self-scout a bit.  

Route concepts.  I have heard that other teams steal his designs, but I ask why that would be when the Bengals WRs generate the least separation of any receiver corps in the league (that was a next gen stat shared on a radio show...no source).  The naked eye shows that as well.  Burrow holding on to the ball too long with no running game and a suspect offensive line.

So, as a whole, I have a lot more negative comments than positives.  I can't help but think I would feel quite different about a lot of this if the FA acquisitions had panned out on defense and the defense wasn't so awful (again).  That would give Burrow more possessions, etc.  The guy only played with a lead twice that I know of and he was fantastic.  But, as it sits, a whole lot more red than green in the ledger.  The only problem is, I have no idea who you replace him with.  If you say Eric Bienemy, you will have the exact same scenario that by the time you are able to hire him, he will have no assistants to choose from.  As much as I hate to say it, I give him (and Lou) one more year.  They have been in every game but two (that will change now) and I have seen signs of improvement on both sides despite massive disappoints from stalwarts like Green, Dunlap, and Atkins as well as injuries to key FA.  
Spot on post. More negatives than positives. For me I have little confidence in Zach & none in Lou. Hope they prove me wrong.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Zac Taylor's Job Not In Jeopardy Reports.. - masonbengals fan - 11-24-2020, 11:07 AM