Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's wrong with the offensive blocking?
It's no secret that the Bengals OL is not doing a good job blocking.

They only have one OL (100+ snaps) who has a 70+ pass blocking grade, and just one more with a 60+ pass blocking grade according to PFF.
Jonah Williams - 75.8
Trey Hopkins - 68.4

Hart and Adeniji are in the 50's, all the guards + Fred Johnson are in the 40's.

For run blocking, they have two OL (100+ snaps) who have 70+ run blocking grade, plus three more OL who have 60+ grade.
Hart - 75.1
Price - 71.1
Redmond - 69.9
Jordan - 63.4
Spain - 60.2

Williams, Adeniji, Hopkins, and Johnson are in the 50's for run blocking.

Despite having a better overall run blocking vs pass blocking grade, the run game is 26th in attempts, 30th in yards, 25th in TDs, 29th in YPA.

Numerous times, I've seen certain OL players just not block anyone in the pass game. Bobby Hart vs MIA is the most recent vivid example.

So what's the problem with the blocking, and how can it be realistically improved?
Is the scheme too complex for the players to execute well?
Are the players not talented enough to execute it?
Is Turner not teaching proper technique?
Is play calling favoring the pass too much vs the run?

I'm not very knowledgeable with OL blocking, but I see poor technique and a lot of zone blocking that I don't think this OL can pull off.
Most of the OL (specifically the guards and Hart) do not seem athletic enough, but the athletic guys like Williams and Hopkins do not seem powerful enough.
My thought is this blocking scheme needs to be simplified, and maybe move more to a man blocking scheme.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
What's wrong with the offensive blocking? - ochocincos - 12-07-2020, 01:16 PM