Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Zimmer Should Be THE Example
(12-15-2020, 02:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The front office would NEVER hire a HC with his demeanor. Never. They value passive guys that go with the flow.

I'd say that Lou and Turner have fiery personalities. They just apparently don't communicate or teach. Yelling and swearing at guys to play better only scales so far.

We need a HC who can come in and install a structure here. One that creates processes that make players a little better each day. One that creates a culture of accountability where the best players play. One that creates competition in practice.

Then, we need 2 good coordinators that can teach X's and O's and call the right plays at the right time on gameday.

Get those things and we can win.

Not only that, but there is a pretty decisive trend out there that players begin to tune out guys like that after a few short years.  Harbaugh was known for being that way and although there always seems to be an initial uptick in performance, the long term success isn't there.  That is one reason why they say guys like Harbaugh and Brian Kelly are better college coaches.

If I could design a coach, I would want someone that had the following characteristics:  (I put them in order of most important to least important...all are important to me, but you see what I am saying)

1.)  Innovative-  I think players want to play for a coach that isn't overly complex, but they feel like their coach can outsmart the other team in key moments of situational football.

2.) Communicative- I could have said "Be a good instructor", but was looking for one word.  I want my coach to be able to clearly communicate what he wants from his coaches and players.  Someone that is a genius but can't convey their vision is worthless.

3.) Aggressive-  This is a big one for me.  I want a coach that will take chances, that will try to deliver the proverbial knockout blow.  A coach that doesn't let the other team dictate everything to them, but forces a team to respond to what he is doing.  I think players really love playing for a more aggressive-minded coach.  

4.) Connected-  I want a coach that has connections throughout the college and pro ranks that has always visualized his staff.  A team of coaches with one goal that can have healthy conflict and discussions.  

5.) Humorous-  People might laugh at this one (pardon the pun), but I love a little humor to make the toughest days better and I think people at all levels enjoy working for someone that can provide a little levity at times.  I don't care if he only shows it to his team (Belichek), but it is something I would enjoy if I was building  a perfect coach.

Who is that coach?  I have no idea.  I actually like Jay Gruden, but I haven't scoured the assistant coaches and the college ranks to know a premier candidate, but that is what I would be looking for in my next HC.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mike Zimmer Should Be THE Example - SHRacerX - 12-15-2020, 03:11 PM