Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There will unbelievable days ahead and I'll remember these days.
(12-18-2020, 02:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Laugh all you want but this is basic coach speak that every other HC would spew in the same situation.

No matter how bad things are you have to try and keep the players positive.  No coach has never improved anything by telling the press that the team is total shit and that they have no chance of beating anyone.  If you have a top tier team you might try and motivate them by claiming they can't win a big game "the way they are currently playing", but if you have a team that is one of the worst in the league you have a positive attitude if you hope to get any effort out of them at all.

Oh, bulshit.

I love how the alternative to not saying things like this (winning championships) always reverts to saying the exact opposite (we stink), as if there's not a million different things in between those two things.

This is not typical coach speak, not when you roll out a variation of this same response over and over again.

Typical coach speak is spewing out something similar to what I wrote earlier.  "We're just focused on Pittsburgh right now.... we need to be better.... I need to be better... we still have an opportunity to win some more ball games this year... we need to win games... this is unacceptable..."

Take your pick of some of those statements and jumble them up together, and fill in the blanks with any number of things you've heard from hundred and hundreds of coaches.

To go out there after a 4-24-1 start to your career, after a 30-7 loss to a 3 win team, after 5 straight losses, and say that you're going to remember this time when you're winning championships down the road is absurd.  It's completely tone-deaf and shows zero awareness.

Nobody wants to hear about winning championships right now when you can't even win 3 games in a single season.  No one.  And there's very few coaches that would go out there after these results and be stupid enough to keep trying to present this grand future when they can't even win a single road game.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: There will unbelievable days ahead and I'll remember these days. - Wes Mantooth - 12-18-2020, 03:34 PM