Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I would only sign eight of the 29 Bengals UFA
(12-29-2020, 01:10 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Interesting math.

Total salary of all players on my cut list . . . Less than $50,000,000 even with Maybin and Glasgow listed and over half of that is for three players.

Shouldn't be difficult to find a backup WR making less than $4.2 million and a backup safety making less than $4.8 million(over $5 million on the first link, I listed the lowest hit). I doubt they pay a #1 WR $18 million in 2021. That's 27 million on one starter and two backups and they will still most likely cut Geno Atkins, saving almost another $10 million after dead cap money. Lawson's probable contract will balance some of that out but there will lots of room to improve the team above Cethan Carter, LeShaun Sims and Alex Redmond.

It's not as simple as saying they have $27m because AJ Green, Ross and Shawn Williams won't be returning.

The amount they "save" from having AJ Green off the books is less than pay increases already due for players under contract Mixon, Waynes, Burrow etc and this also has to be balanced against a potential decrease in salary cap (although the 17th game might allow them to come in neutral).

I however agree they need to do a better job of finding cheaper alternatives at the back of the roster than paying the likes of Carter and Erickson $2m+ (I think Redmond was initially tendered at $2m which was madness but I'm assuming when they cut him and then re-signed him several weeks later after the whole league passed on him this was then at minimum wage) This is where it makes sense to resign the likes of Perine, Thomas, Bynes, Evans and Hunt (and Carter and Erickson if they're willing to take a paycut). They should all be affordable and at minimum/just over minimum wage and signed to compete for a job in training camp.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I would only sign eight of the 29 Bengals UFA - TJHoushmandzadeh's Shiny Shoes - 12-29-2020, 10:19 AM