Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You'd Have to be Insane to Join Zac Taylor's Staff
(01-04-2021, 01:38 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: The thread was made with the understanding that I'm talking about coaches who have options.  I even referenced that several times in my post.

Of course they will be able to fill theses positions and I'm sure there will be coaches eager to step in.  But these people will be left-overs with very little options or they'll be taking on a role they wouldn't get elsewhere.

If you think it was hard for him to fill out his staff in year 1 wait until year 3. 

Have the Bengals ever been an attractive destination for lateral hires?

Hasn't position coach recruitment almost always been hiring the unemployed, with the occasional promotion thrown in?

There might be the odd exception that moves for personal reasons but generally they are drawing their recruits from those without jobs/lesser jobs. 

Look at Marvin Lewis' most celebrated positional coach hires
Franck Pollack - had been sacked by Dallas
James Urban - promotion from assistant job 
Vance Joseph - had been sacked from Houston
Alex Van Pelt - let go by the Packers
Hue Jackson - had been sacked by Washington, and then for his second spell he'd been sacked by Oakland and then for his third spell (not a position coach) after he'd been sacked by Cleveland
Paul Guenther - internal promotion after having been on staff for 7 years
Bob Bicknell - promoted from college ranks
Jonathan Hayes - promoted from college ranks
Jim Haslett - had been sacked by Washington
Bill Lazor - fired by Miami
Jacob Burney - was not retained by Washington
Ken Zampese - fired by Rams
Kevin Coyle - fired by Miami
Mark Carrier - let go by Jets 
Matt Burke - let go by Detroit
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: You'd Have to be Insane to Join Zac Taylor's Staff - TJHoushmandzadeh's Shiny Shoes - 01-04-2021, 03:28 PM