Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High school locker rooms and transgender
(11-02-2015, 01:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: What is interesting is that this strikes at the core of the issue, to me. People seem to think we are just talking about someone that decides one day to identify as a gender different than their sex and demands accommodations immediately. In every one of these legitimate cases that we are talking about there are likely years worth of behavioral observations that would lead one to see legitimacy with the claim. As an outside observer, we do not have that to view. Some of these folks may be diagnosed as having gender dysphoria, but my problem with that is the subjectivity with which these things are diagnosed and the availability of professionals to make such a diagnosis. Not to mention the privacy issues involved with medical information.

But anyway, my biggest point is that when we are talking about schools, we are talking about teachers and administrators that would have observed, or would have access to people that have observed, behaviors that would point to the legitimacy of the claim. It absolutely is not something that should be taken lightly, but when you're around these kids on a regular basis you would be able to know better than we can reading an article about it.

I understand and agree with your assessment.
However, considering we live in a litigious society, we know that schools and parents will need to cover their posterior.
That is why this is such a difficult issue and I don't feel that there is any perfect solution.
People deserve to know that their children are free from things that may put them in distress, but HIPAA would prevent any documentation.
Also, the person that has the gender dysphoria deserves that respect and privacy.
That is the pickle (cheap pun intended).

As I've stated before, I think the only solution is private shower and changing stalls.
Also a school rule needs to be instituted that no person shall be nude in front of another, infraction resulting in suspension.
It is the only way that I can see around this situation.

Messages In This Thread
RE: High school locker rooms and transgender - Rotobeast - 11-02-2015, 01:32 PM