Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac's Contract for Longer Than 3 Years??? (Hobson Article)
(01-11-2021, 02:58 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Whilst coaching contracts aren't the same as playing contracts when players can be cut there are a number of ways a smart lawyer could achieve a similar outcome.

Unlike player contracts which will have to comply with union requirements, NFL salary cap regulations and the like there would be a lot more scope for flexibility negotiating a HC's contract. This could be anything from key performance targets, break clauses, agreed damages, rolling contracts. We know the type of legal agreement Mike Brown negotiated with the County for the stadium which contains various outs and required the county to install holograms etc. Whilst obviously smaller, this is still a multi-million dollar deal and I'd expect Mike Brown to protect his own bottom line accordingly.

I mean, that's just not the way coaching contracts are structured in the NFL (performance targets, break clauses, damages, etc.) 

If Mike Brown were to somehow work in that language into a deal he's be a unicorn in terms of uniqueness.  And I would imagine any coach and any agent would immediately be turned off from negotiations.

There's only two ways to get out of paying a coach that I'm aware of:

1.) Firing with cause. (Think of Al Davis vs. Josh McDaniels)  If the team can prove that a coach broke some rules, broke the law or somehow violated their contract, then they can recoup money remaining.  This involves lawyers and the onus is on the team to prove it's case.

2.) Any new employment's salary will be deducted from remaining dollars.  This is to prevent double-dipping, and is much more common.  Ex:  Coach makes 3 million a year and has 2 years remaining when fired.  Coach takes OC/DC/Position job where he makes 1 million.  Team owes the difference of 2 million (3 mil guaranteed minus 1 mil in new salary).

Maybe you're right, maybe Mike has sneaked some crazy things into his negotiations but I find that highly unlikely.  There is no way an established coach like Marvin Lewis, nor his agent, would have allowed that language to exist in any of his extensions.  And if they tried to place into Zac Taylor's contract I'm sure his agent would be spreading the word. (It would look VERY bad for the Bengals)
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Zac's Contract for Longer Than 3 Years??? (Hobson Article) - Wes Mantooth - 01-11-2021, 03:40 PM