Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Presidential Pardons - when would you call it corrupt?
In reference to this CNN article - https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/18/politics/donald-trump-eleventh-hour-pardons/index.html

Presidential Pardons from a leaving president is a tradition. This article is interesting, in that aside from a little bias against Trump, it for the most part goes on about how other Presidents have used the power (more informational than opinion), which is what interested me.

There is a system to be followed through the Justice Dpt. to get your case in front of the President. But it is not required. One can go around it and appeal to the President directly if you have the connections TO the President or have the money to pay someone who has access to the President, which is where we come to Trump.

The extremes were as follows:
George Bush jr - Used the power very sparingly, and was disgusted how many people pulled him aside in his last days trying to get pardons for friends/allies/associates
Obama - pardoned the most ever, but it was philosophical it appears; he pardoned mostly low level drug offenders (users) with mandatory sentences. Obama's way of thumbing his nose at something he disagreed with.
Clinton - Made some very questionable pardons, allies, friends of allies, white collar

I will not go over what Trump is going to do with pardons. My question is essentially, do you believe a President can go to far? What Clinton did was questionable to some, fine to others and murderously corrupt to still others. However, it is a question of ethics, and not law. It is a power that the president can wield how they see fit.

How far is too far? When does it go from questionable to corruption, if at all?

As for my opinion, if you're interested? Trump is doing essentially what I expected of him and it surprises me not at all.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Presidential Pardons - when would you call it corrupt? - Stewy - 01-18-2021, 02:15 PM