Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Presidential Pardons - when would you call it corrupt?
(01-18-2021, 04:10 PM)Dill Wrote: As part of Trump's corrupt legacy, I think such restraints will be discussed in the coming year.

E.g., there is an office (Pardon attorney) which reviews pardons and makes non-binding recommendations, but pre-Trump the recommendations were part of an honor system intended to maximize the social benefits of the pardon power. Reviewing and recommending pardons showed that people were honoring ideals law and the greater good.

Because one president looked at that system and thought "Wow, no real controls; I can do what I want," it may have to changed now, making the once voluntary controls a requirement.

The pardon power is the one executive power that is absolute. There is no way to put constraints on that power without a constitutional amendment. There will not be enough backing to do that.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Presidential Pardons - when would you call it corrupt? - Belsnickel - 01-18-2021, 04:19 PM