Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We could've (should've) had Drew Brees
(01-19-2021, 09:42 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: For those who don't know, Paul Alexander has a weekly call in spot with Moving the Chains on SiriusXM NFL Radio.  I caught his segment today, and told a story about Brees.

So in the preliminary meeting for 2001 draft evaluation, Mike Brown walked in and stated that he wanted the Drew Brees as our pick at the top of the first round.  Paul said we were picking 3, but it was actually 4 overall.  Apparently all of the coaches who had input on QB evaluation started trying to talk him out of it, pointing out arm strength and other perceived weaknesses, while pointing out that we already had Akili Smith on the roster.  It seems that they continually had to fight to change his mind throughout the entire draft process.  Ultimately the coaches won out and we took Justin Smith instead.  Paul then mentioned that he ended up at the Perdue Pro-Day evaluating someone, and that Drew through some balls that day.  Paul stated he watched him throw some and told other staff members, "His arm is stronger than Akili's arm is".

I wonder what could've been had Mikey not given in...

Could be one of many stories we (at least I) didn't know about MB that paints a better light than we normally see.  Imagine Brees, then we pick chad in 2.  Of course, does ML come?  Perhaps not because we would've started improving I'd bet.  Could've altered everything!  

MB also loved Palmer.  And he mailed Burrow a Jersey along with a letter, right?  

If he yielded on a QB, you gotta wonder if he's really as stubborn as we always hear.  Because he loves QB most of all from what I can tell.  
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: We could've (should've) had Drew Brees - wildcatnku24 - 01-20-2021, 03:08 AM