Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We could've (should've) had Drew Brees
(01-20-2021, 12:03 PM)shanebo Wrote: I've never heard that story before.  Really interesting.  A couple of tangential observations:

- That 2001 draft was LOADED!  We got four pro bowlers in Smith, Chad, Rudi, and TJ.  But others had even better drafts.  Chargers got LDT and Brees.  Falcons got Vick and Crumpler.  Pats got Seymour and Light.  Cards got Leonard Davis and Kyle Vanden Bosch.  Panthers got Dan Morgan, Kris Jenkins, and Steve Smith.  Colts and Ravens got Reggie Wayne and Todd Heap with the last two picks of the first round.  And even some of the teams that drafted total busts ended up with a good player -- Seahawks totally struck out with Koren Robinson, but drafted HOFer Steve Hutchinson 8 picks later.  We can only hope this years' draft has as much talent (and that we get some of it ...)

- IIRC, Brees was considered a fringe first-rounder in 2001.  Vick was the consensus 1OA, and Brees was solidly in that second tier along with busts like Chris Wienke, Quincy Carter, and Marques Tuiasosopo.  He was not in Kiper's top-25, which is the only archived pre-draft rankings I can find.  So it's certainly believable that Mike Brown wanted to draft him at 4OA, lol.  BUT, if you really think the guy is worthy of 4OA, WHY THE HELL DON'T YOU GIVE UP A 5TH (Vic Leyva), 6TH (Riall Johnson), OR EVEN A 3RD (Smokin' Sean Brewer) TO MOVE UP FOUR LOUSY SPOTS TO DRAFT HIM AT THE TOP OF THE SECOND?????  This defies reason and makes me not want to believe the story, until I realize, oh yeah, it's Mike Brown!  Of course, if we had traded up and taken Brees, we would have missed out on Chad, my favorite Bengal from the 2000s ...

- I think Brees was significantly motivated when the chargers drafted Rivers in 2004.  He made his first Pro Bowl that year.  Then he flat out developed the FU mentality when they selected Rivers over him.  First year in NOLA - All Pro + Pro Bowl starter + MVP runner up.  Who knows how he woulda done in Cincy ... interestingly, he's the only 2001 draftee still in the league.

A lot of people will just breeze by this comment without knowing at all what you were referencing, but I choked on coffee because I laughed so hard at this...

I couldn't find a picture but I remember one that I saw that showed he had corn rows!!!  He did that before Bronson Arroyo!  Crazy and horrible pick, but hilarious.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: We could've (should've) had Drew Brees - SHRacerX - 01-20-2021, 01:21 PM