Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Presidential Pardons - when would you call it corrupt?
(01-21-2021, 09:23 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: There is a big difference between the role of POTUS as CiC and the pardon power. The Constitution lays out a balanced system for the military by giving Congress the purse strings. Congress had the authority to limit the president's use of the military because they decide how to fund it. No such check exists on the pardon power, though. It isn't something that requires funding, which is the primary method of checking executive power that Congress has and while there is some judicial review, we've already discussed how the courts have held the power.

I think I've got the separation of powers down.

I'm just wondering how Trump's behavior pushes and tests Constitutional limits in ways that might reveal unsuspected loopholes, or generate wholly unexpected legal defenses, as his impeachment did. For four years now Trump has pushed Constitutional law onto unexplored territory.

If the current round of pardons doesn't trigger any pushback, though, then I image the issue will recede into the background.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Presidential Pardons - when would you call it corrupt? - Dill - 01-22-2021, 07:01 PM