Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Had dinner next to Frank Pollock
(01-28-2021, 11:43 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I was visiting a friend in Portland about 15 years ago for a Seahawks game and he took me to Flying Pie pizza which was only two blocks away from his house, so we walked. I bought two beers for while we waited and three extra large pizzas to go, one was just a cheese pizza for the kids and it shocked me with a $105 bill. One of the pizzas did have shrimp on it but that was a pretty big tab for just three pizzas and a couple of beers, but I was quiet and said nothing about it. After having to carry two of the pizzas for two blocks, my arms were getting pretty tired and I'm a strong dude. I was there for three days and two nights and we still didn't finish off the pizzas even after snacking on them the entire time. On the way out the door to the airport, and grabbing a slice for the flight home, it hit me. They didn't rip me off, I ripped THEM off. I've never seen a non-deep dish pizza that was so thick and full of ingredients that was also thoroughly cooked. I now judge all pizzas based off of comparisons to those three pizzas.

My Step-Dad (RIP) built a bar in Covington in the early to mid-70s(The Distillery) and many of of his patrons would order pizza to be delivered while they played pool, poker or horseshoes so he decided to put in a pizza oven to supply his customers. He said it was a big mistake because once the local apartment buildings learned that there was fresh pizza in the neighborhood, he went from a bar owner that was often a bartender(a job he loved) to a full-time pizza cook. They would see him show up and before he could unlock the door, he could hear the phone ringing inside. He never thought that it would take off like it did so he put the oven in downstairs and he couldn't hire a pizza cook because the entire downstairs floor was his office and VIP room where the big money poker games and pool was played. Some kids got to eat pizza maybe once a week . . . I had pizza brought home three or four times a week. Good times. 

Cool story.  Yeah, if there was any pizza leftover, it was AWESOME heated up the next day.  Whenever my folks made it up to BG for a swim meet (which was actually quite common), they would take my roomates and I to Myles and we would kill one pizza and take one home to eat the next day.  

There was a place in Toledo called "The Distillery" in the late 80s and early 90s.  Big place.  I worked up there in the summers and would usually end up there in the evening.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Had dinner next to Frank Pollock - Sled21 - 01-23-2021, 10:24 PM
RE: Had dinner next to Frank Pollock - SHRacerX - 01-28-2021, 11:48 AM
RE: Had dinner next to Frank Pollock - 3wt - 01-27-2021, 03:29 PM