Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biden's first test: pass his covid relief plan or compromise with GOP
The biggest narrative surrounding the Biden administration right now is handling an inherited mess with regards to the pandemic. Whether it's a lack of a plan, far less doses of vaccine than previously stated, or just a lack of infrastructure, the Biden team is realizing that his plan will take longer to execute since essential pieces were never put in place by the Trump administration.

Covid relief legislation is part of the plan, and one that Biden does not necessarily need Republicans on board for given the success in the GA Senate races. That said, a group of GOP lawmakers are trying counter offer a plan that is roughly 1/3rd the size that Biden has been eyeing.

Biden has stated that bipartisanship and bringing people in is essential to recovering from the last 4 years. What Biden does now can shape the next two years. Letting Republicans know that they matter in the process helps with swing Senator Manchin (who is already salty that Harris spoke to WV media about covid without letting him know first) and helps to sell the spirit of bipartisanship.

On the other hand, caving to the GOP when he doesn't need to could be a "give an inch, they take a mile" situation (which is likely given that McConnell may be the most toxic element of national politics in the last 40 years). It also would be seen as a betrayal to those who elected him to provide change and relief.

Collins, who deserves very little respect for being a wet doormat for Trump, presenting Biden with a $600b counter offer to his $1.9t plan doesn't seem to be a good faith offer. Capping payments to families making $50k works for Portman and Ohio with their low cost of living and average mean salary, but it's unrealistic for much of the US and just makes him come off as another multi millionaire who is too detached from reality to understand struggling Americans.

Does Biden need to signal to the GOP, "I'm president and I am supported by a majority in Congress. I will ask for your input, something you didn't do in 2017-2018, but I'm not going to drastically shift my agenda for you"?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Biden's first test: pass his covid relief plan or compromise with GOP - BmorePat87 - 02-01-2021, 02:01 PM