Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Anyone think the Bengals will take lessons from this Super Bowl?
(02-08-2021, 01:31 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I just hope this doesn’t become a trend like in the NBA.  The Bucs winning is bad for the NFL IMO.  A bunch of guys teaming up to win (and it worked so credit to them) but I don’t like it. NBA only has a few teams that can compete for a championship every year and I don’t want the NFL to become that.  The Bucs are the only SB team I can think of where most of their star players won’t be remembered for playing on that team after they retire.

Officiating was terrible but missing 2 starting OTs and Reid’s son’s accident doomed KC from the start.

Brady is no doubt the GOAT based on accomplishments but switch QBs and the Bucs probably put up 50 points last night.

Brady was a 43 year old free agent (we certainly wouldn't have wanted him in 2020), Fournette cleared waivers, AB was on the scrapheap, and Gronkowski was retired.  I'd hardly compare that to an NBA team getting a big three.  Add in that Bruce Arians was retired, Byron Leftwich was a QB bust who was a 2nd year OC and Todd Bowles was a disgraced HC who went crawling back to his former HC and you can see how none of the individual parts of this puzzle were top-tier acquisitions.

Going into the year people (at least people I talk sports with) were amused that Brady (who didn't look too great in 2019) and Gronk off the couch were going to reconnect in TB as if they could move down to Florida like any retired couple.  My argument was that TB had to go all-in on the free agents because they were trying to move away from a record-breakingly bad year from a 1st overall pick bust QB.  

My comments about TB was that yes, they were going a little overboard with the old and retired pieces on and off the field and bolstering their team with talented locker room cancers like AB and Fournette and over the hill high-priced nut cases like Suh and Pierre Paul, but they were doing what they had to to make an immediate reboot.  Should it have worked?  Hell, after typing that out I'm amazed it worked, but it did.

Still, there are a lot of pieces to this puzzle that other franchises didn't want and the overall view of the Bucs going into this season seemed a lot more like "Ha, good luck with THAT!" than "Oh crap, they're a deadly mercenary force!"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anyone think the Bengals will take lessons from this Super Bowl? - Nately120 - 02-08-2021, 02:12 PM