Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Impeachmen' 2: Electoral Boogaloo
(02-10-2021, 09:19 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I understand what you're saying, I'm just not a fan of that kind of hyperbolic comparison.  The military showed zero signs of buying into Trump's bullshit and the Capitol incident was exceedingly small in number. I get the Dems blowing it up to make political hay, but it was nowhere close to the Myanmar situation. Not even in the same universe.

So, the difference is why Myanmar was successful and the Beer Belly Putsch, wasn't. But the Myanmar military didn't just take over because things weren't looking right. They acted because their preferred candidate lost, and lost big. So, yeah, the greater numbers and better training and planning because of it being the military is the difference, there, but there is a comparison to be made. Maybe not different universes. Solar systems? Absolutely. I could even entertain the idea of galaxies. But definitely not universes.

Of course, that difference is also because we have a longer history of democracy. When it comes down to it, the vast majority of people in this country that swear an oath to uphold the Constitution take their oath seriously.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Impeachmen' 2: Electric Boogaloo - CJD - 01-11-2021, 01:53 PM
RE: Impeachmen' 2: Electoral Boogaloo - Belsnickel - 02-11-2021, 08:19 AM