Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey Soy Boy, Deep State, China Paid, Antifa Libz...
(02-21-2021, 06:08 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I honestly have mixed feelings on it all. Not having any student debt, myself, means I have been very fortunate. However, I have also seen the debt accumulated by students for education as someone that used to literally do the accounting for the student loan revenues at a university. I am the one who got the money, put the money in the bank, applied it to the students' accounts, gave them the extra for their living expenses (if applicable), and directed the funds paying charges to the university to the proper ledger accounts. I've seen the millions coming in and going out, so my perspective is a little different than most.

I say all this because even though I am not fully committed one way or the other, I disagree with your point. The reason is because for decades, now, the government has been selling young people a false narrative. The idea that going to college is necessary for a good job and that when you get out there will be some well paying employment waiting for you to pay off your student loans is foundational to the current student debt crisis. The federal government had a huge hand in this. Were it not for that, I'd be completely on your side with this. I have other debts that are completely from my own stupidity (well, I could argue that a bit), but I really do think that our government holds a good chunk of blame for how much student debt is hanging out there and the struggles of young people to pay it off.

I agree with your general points, but at the end of the day I'm a huge fan of personal accountability.  You chose to put yourself in debt for "X" degree.  I did have student loan debt, which btw was from an NRA loan (this was from the mid 90's so way before the NRA schism, which I know you are aware of).  I paid the damned thing off.  That, coupled with my poor credit card decisions, meant I was in significant debt from eighteen to thirty-four.  I did get help from my parents a few times when I was short, but I never, ever, expected anyone to pay for a debt I willingly incurred.  Deception or self deception, you signed on to said debt willingly, own the god damned debt and stop looking for a handout from responsible people.  As I have said, I'm fine with an interest freeze, even permanently, or a lowering of the APR.  But paying it off for you?  Miss me with that bullshit entirely.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hey Soy Boy, Deep State, China Paid, Antifa Libz... - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 02-21-2021, 06:24 PM