Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biden Admin/117th Congress Gun Control
(02-22-2021, 03:22 PM)Au165 Wrote: I was thinking about the fact that you have a right to have a child if you wish in this country. If someone were to ask you where your kid is and you don't know you'd be considered an irresponsible parent. If you continue to not know where your kid is, say skipping school, you can be held criminally liable for not knowing where your child is. If you are so bad at knowing where your kid is they can be taken away from you and potentially you could face greater criminal liability. Your child has legs and a mind of their own, knowing where they are can be hard, a gun does not have either but apparently asking someone to know where it is, is a bridge too far.

Being a crap parent can result in your kid(s) being taken away, but it won't result in criminal charges.  If it did then more than half of the parents of minors I've dealt with over my career would be in prison.

Quote:The problem that is going to continue to boil over is the idea that gun rights are beyond reproach. If people aren't willing to give an inch here and demand responsibility, the push will get stronger and they will eventually go for more. If you want to argue that in the child example you won't be held criminally liable for their actions, I would counter you can be held financially liable. I have never been a fan of the "gun insurance" idea because I think it does disproportionally disenfranchise gun ownership to poorer people, but I would entertain that discussion I guess if people wanted to.

I disagree.  The problem will continue to be a problem as long as we refuse to confront what the real problem is.  The real problem, is not Joe and Jane Smith gun owner.  Criminalizing them will do nothing to stop gun violence and will only ruin the lives of people who would otherwise be completely law abiding.  As for your closing statement, that's why we have a Constitution and a Bill of Rights, to prevent those people from doing exactly what you state.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Biden Admin/117th Congress Gun Control - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 02-22-2021, 03:33 PM