Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biden Admin/117th Congress Gun Control
(02-22-2021, 05:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I fail to see any logic in this argument.

First of all the fact that there is a correlation between socioeconomic issues and gun violence does not necessarily mean there is a casual link. In fact many members of these communities have argued that they need to address the safety of the streets before they can address additional reforms.  They point to how fear of violence effects education.  And how property crimes and violence drive down home values and business opportunities.  And how meaningless deaths of breadwinners effect the economics of many families.

The claim that keeping guns out of the hands of criminals would "make no difference" just is not true.

The claim that disadvantaged communities get any benefit from unlimited access to guns has no basis in reality.

So how do you get the horses back in the barn at this point? What do we do when they turn to knives? How about other makeshift weapons? I saw a dude beat another dude in the street with a crutch. I may have said gun violence correlates with socioeconomic issues, but violence overall does. Even if you could take away the guns it would still be violent because the underlying systemic issues are still in place.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Biden Admin/117th Congress Gun Control - Belsnickel - 02-22-2021, 07:09 PM