Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biden Admin/117th Congress Gun Control
(02-22-2021, 08:02 PM)Au165 Wrote: You have to register to vote right? Why is that we accept that in order to recognize one right you must register but another it is unfathomable to have to register to exercise it?

No way to effectively capture it? What happens if you vote and you aren’t registered to do so? I know this is where the “making criminals out of otherwise law abiding citizens” argument comes in, but registering to vote isn’t in the constitution, it was added via laws later and I’m sure plenty of people saw it as unfathomable at the time.

So, here is the difference between the right to vote and the right to own firearms. The civil liberty that is the right to vote is not explicitly stated in the US Constitution. There are amendments that lay out reasons that the right to vote cannot be denied, but it is left up to the states to determine who has the right to vote beyond that. The right to bear arms, however, is explicitly states in the Second Amendment. This creates a difference between these two civil liberties that makes them hard to compare.

For the record, I'm against registering to vote. I'm of the opinion that voter rolls should be generated from tax filings and everyone, citizen or not, felon or not, incarcerated or not, should be eligible to vote.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Biden Admin/117th Congress Gun Control - Belsnickel - 02-22-2021, 08:10 PM