Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Didn't We Give Hill The Ball At The 5??
(11-03-2015, 02:13 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: same thing for running
But there's a lot less possibility for error with the ball being airborne for any time at all in a pass.  There's also less time and less room for the receivers to get any kind of separation from that short of a field.
(11-03-2015, 02:45 PM)djs7685 Wrote: ORLY? 

Looks like you "mis-quoted" yourself. ThumbsUp 
But then I also said that if the first two had gotten us close enough, MAYBE A THIRD WOULD BE OK  Rock On
(11-03-2015, 02:47 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I'd probably be right on board with the complaining if we were on the 1 yard line.

Throwing 3 passes from the 5 when you're the most efficient passing offense in the league and your QB is 6/7 with 66 yards on the current drive seems like a legitimate gameplan to me, but hey, I'm no OC myself either!

So why not line him up under center where you can also bring an effective play action into play?  

Go back and watch the drive.  Have you done that?  I have a few times, including just now.  Dalton was able to complete all but two of those passes because the defense was playing off so they wouldn't give up the big play and then Dalton just kept dumping it off underneath for short gains.

Those wouldn't have worked from the five because the defenders would have been playing tighter.

The two exceptions?  One was Eifert up the seams, which he would have been out of the back of the endzone if he had run that route from the five.  The second was Eifert on a slant, which the defenders would have been in the passing lanes because they wouldn't have been playing back.

I'm no OC myself, but it seems logical that a pass in those situations are far less likely to work.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why Didn't We Give Hill The Ball At The 5?? - BFritz21 - 11-03-2015, 05:20 PM