Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’
(03-07-2021, 12:51 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Sure

Hollodero referred to Puerto Rico as a colony.
Jason comically added that we prefer to call them a territory probably because it sounds less imperialistic to what Hollodero was implying?

Then I added how slave labor in WWII is bad when the Nazis did it but if worded differently it takes on a whole different meaning when we, the supposed good guys, did the same thing. Kind of like one man's Inheritance tax is another man's Death tax.

It had little to do with Puerto Rico and more to do with a play off of their word usage.

So short (not that that's my trait), it's about euphemisms. That's also why I used "cognitively imperfect term" instead of "stupid term" in my response. Yeah territories is an apparent euphemism for what this is.

If Afghanistan promised to erect a democracy in which of course every Afghan citizen were to vote for the Afghan government... except those Afghan citizens back there in that region, because of reasons; I would have quite a bad opinion about their democratic efforts. We'd probably call that region "occupied" and their people "oppressed", on the grounds that it's Afghanistan. 
Of course no one says so about the US and Puerto Rico. You have territories.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’ - hollodero - 03-07-2021, 01:10 PM