Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’
(03-07-2021, 01:12 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I mean, to br frank, that is an absolutely terrible comparison (Puerto Rico vs. Wyoming).

Yes, it is, in many respects.

(03-07-2021, 01:12 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Again, Puerto Rico has wanted autonomy for quite some time.  They've resisted statehood in the past.  They literally fought for independence through a series of uprisings and political maneuvers during Spanish rule.  This desire for autonomy didn't just end with the Spanish-American war.

Well, they don't resist statehood now.
I don't think it matters much what they did several decades back.

(03-07-2021, 01:12 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Not only do they have their own Governor, they have their own Senate and House of Representatives.

As do, as far as I know, all other states. With none of those this would ever be a reason to not let them participate in presidential elections and not give them their representatives in Congress.

(03-07-2021, 01:12 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Honestly, I don't want to delve into this too deeply, because frankly it's not my place.  I'm not Puerto Rican, and my knowledge is based on a very light amount amount of reading, with zero experience. 

Same here.
If we only talked things we are deeply versed in, this would be a very empty place.

In this case, my point imho is simple enough. Every (unblemished) US citizen should have the right to vote for US president and for their representatives in Congress. I deem that fundamental for every democracy.

(03-07-2021, 01:12 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: All I'm saying, is there is a very good reason those polls you see are split down the middle.  If it was as simple as taxation without representation, and the inability to vote in a Chief of State then it'd be 95%+ in favor.  I'd suggest we find an actual Purto Rican to contribute to this thread before speculated about how much it makes sense for them.

But here's the thing, imho we don't need to speculate about that. They held an election about this question. They were asked. And they answered. They (meaning, a majority of them, which in a democracy is the deciding thing) want statehood.
Had they decided they'd rather keep the status quo, then ok so be it. But they did not.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’ - hollodero - 03-07-2021, 01:34 PM