Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’
(03-07-2021, 02:46 PM)hollodero Wrote: - May I ask why you, as far as I can tell, are at least tentatively against Puerto Rico statehood?

I'm not against it.  I just realize it's an incredibly complex issue that's not as cut and dry as seen in mainstream media.  Nor do I think it's my place to weigh in on.

Please read these two articles if you're curious why I don't think a simple 52-46 vote automatically clears the issue up:

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/white-liberals-must-stop-pushing-puerto-rican-statehood-their-own-ncna1247419

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/guest-commentary/os-op-statehood-vote-puerto-rico-lost-20201119-skegrl2slffc7bhdlpmo4izrry-story.html

Lastly, take this exerpt from the Harvard Crimson:

Puerto Rican nationalists refuse to let go of our national identity. To never hear the Puerto Rican Anthem “La Borinqueña” again when a Boricua wins a medal is reason enough to hold on to the little autonomy we have. Even the Miss Universe pageant is a reason to repeal annexation. The contest is especially popular in Puerto Rico because we are the country with the third-most wins. It is a matter of honor and pride. To lose our international presence as Puerto Ricans is unthinkable to those of us who are against statehood

Accordingly, the main difference between D.C. and Puerto Rico is that Washingtonians are undeniably Americans who overwhelmingly want statehood and would not lose a unique, national identity if admitted. This is not the case with Puerto Ricans. There even exists a part of the population who want complete independence from the United States. While this group is currently a minority, the Puerto Rican Independence Party received almost 14% of the vote during this election, a figure they had not seen for decades. Whether this signals a growing support for independence is not clear, but one thing is sure: The debate is far from being settled.

This is not just about politics. It is about identity, culture and nationality. A matter so important requires consensus because of the irreversible nature of its consequences. We need a transparent process of self-determination, not a hasty referendum to serve a political party. Until a legitimate majority of the people of Puerto Rico can agree on what is best for the Island, the United States Congress should not make this decision about our land. Right now, Puerto Rican statehood would irreversibly deny the wish of many Puerto Ricans to be just that: Boricua

Aunque nacieran en la luna.

All of the above are written by actuall Puerto Ricans, giving much needed perspective that can be lost in our understanding.  All of these are written after the vote as well.

My fear is that some people are playing partisan politics right now, some politicians (both Puerto Rican, and American) true interests only lie in personal gain, and others are attatching themselves to an issue like this in the name of fairness (best intentions) without knowing exactly what it is they're calling for.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’ - Wes Mantooth - 03-07-2021, 03:20 PM