Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’
(03-08-2021, 01:01 PM)Dill Wrote: But that's not how colonialism generally works--giving the dominated an equal right to vote. What I am struggling to understand is the degree to which absence of direct representation protects Puerto Rican political autonomy, given that PRs must already follow U.S. laws they cannot vote for.

This is something I haven't been able to quite understand, and am frankly too lazy to fully do the research on.

There's lot of information that seems somewhat conflicting regarding their laws.  They do have their own laws, their own constitution, their own bill of rights, and their own court system.  But it also says they're subject to most federal law.  I've also read that decisions between their Supreme Court and ours can arrise in some conflicts from time to time, but federal court can no longer appeal their decisions.  US courts cannot appeal their rulings, nor can they prosecute someone once they've ruled.

Basically, it's all very, very tricky and difficult to fully understand.

Here's just one tiny thing I just found, that I think presents an interesting example of something few consider when it comes to statehood.  Puerto Rico's current minimum wage is set $5.08.  So this is an example of something that is not regulated by federal law.

So while $15 an hour means something very different in California and New York than it does Mississipi, imagine what that would mean for somewhere like Puerto Rico.  This is something they would be subject to with statehood.

That may sound great in theory, but that might be much harder in practicality.  Trying explaining that to a small business owner there. How does this affect a small family and/or neighborhood business that simply operate in a very different way than one here, who are used to all of the red tape and regulation?

I won't ramble too much, but I have a feeling statehood would greatlty transform the territory in ways not often discussed.  Perhaps it wouldn't rob them of their culture and identity, but it would be significant nonetheless.

Puerto Rico being suddenly subjected to all sorts of regulations, labor laws, OSHA, and liabilities would be tremendous change. And this list probably goes on and on and on. I just listed some examples of potential differences.

Fwiw, this is what I think a lot of the comments about their, what they call "statehood party" needing to have education prior to adding these votes onto their elections are getting at. A lot of Puerto Ricans feel that some in politics are presenting statehood in a simplistic way without properly educating people on what it actually means. And apparently, they attactch these votes, which are for all intents and purposes meaningless onto general elections to bring out their supporters.

Long story short, this shit is hella complicated.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’ - Wes Mantooth - 03-08-2021, 01:33 PM