Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’
(03-09-2021, 12:50 PM)hollodero Wrote: And how exactly did they do that. I ask that because I am under the impression that as soon any Democrat mentioned Puerto Rico statehood at any time, you would already have reached that verdict. But I don't know why you actually did.
Not that I believe it's not in their heads, it most probably is. And many GOP politicians probably are opposed to PR statehood for that very reason too. None of this should matter a bit in that question.

They did it by flat out stating it.

Quote:Yeah I'm not so sure this nuclear option is all designed too, while endig the filibuster is clearly against that design.

I mean, that's all politics. I am against Puerto Rico's faith being decided on partisanship and/or accusations of partisanship and them being held hostage by it.

I haven't said I'm against statehood, I just don't like why it's now an issue.

Quote:There's not a case to be made that is consistent with fundamental democratic principles. Not in my view. In any real democracy, you can't withhold voting rights from citizens and that is a matter of principle. In a way, PR can easily be seen as the GOP's most successful ongoing voter suppression effort.

Not really, seeing as how they've decided against statehood themselves in the past.  I'm not familiar with any long term strategy by the GOP to prevent PR statehood.

Quote:If it's a sweet deal for them, giving up certain fundamental citizen rights for some accomodations, that should be up to them to decide and they need to have that say about that. Only a colonial power would deem otherwise.

This, of course assumes that the US should just let anyone join who wants to.  I understand that PR is a different situation than most, but statehood isn't a right.

Quote:And the fact that the US citizenship is valuable to have can not change anything about that. Imho putting that argument out is a bit patronizing towards them.

Meh, I'm just pointing out that they aren't exactly getting a raw deal as is.  Accusation of "colonialism" rather fall flat considering how Puerto Rico is actually treated.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’ - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 03-09-2021, 01:09 PM