Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’
(03-09-2021, 01:09 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: They did it by flat out stating it.

Sorry for riding this rather moot point, but I really wonder who they is and what they said exactly that made you so tense on that issue, in fact so tense that you seem to have little willingness to answer the PR question from any other perspective than this one.

(03-09-2021, 01:09 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Not really, seeing as how they've decided against statehood themselves in the past.  I'm not familiar with any long term strategy by the GOP to prevent PR statehood.

They have decided for statehood very recently. I think that superseeds past referendums in determining their will. When did they last express being against it? 22 years ago, as far as I can tell?
- Oh yeah, regarding the GOP and suppression, that is a fair counterpoint. It stops being one though if the GOP still blocks statehood, for just as partisan reasons as the other party applies in wanting statehood.

(03-09-2021, 01:09 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: This, of course assumes that the US should just let anyone join who wants to.  I understand that PR is a different situation than most, but statehood isn't a right.

Participating in elections is a citizen's fundamental right though, and representation, that's the right I was talking about.
In no way did I advocate letting anyone in who wants it. But Puerto Ricans are US citizens, you made them US citizens, and so yeah they get to want certain things that are fundamentally tied with citizenship.

(03-09-2021, 01:09 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Meh, I'm just pointing out that they aren't exactly getting a raw deal as is.  Accusation of "colonialism" rather fall flat considering how Puerto Rico is actually treated.

Colonialism is not fundamentally tied to treating people awfully. But yeah, making decisions for them and having them have no say in it, withholding fundamental rights, and claiming that's not all that bad for we treat them real nice, that is a colonial power's approach. Contrasting a democracy's approach, where there's no doubt every citizen gets representation in Congress and gets to vote for the nation's leader.
You treat them as half citizens somehow. They get some goodies, like their passport and eeverything, but at a certain point they need to be content and show some modesty, even if they are withheld some rights fundamentally tied with citizenship.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’ - hollodero - 03-09-2021, 01:42 PM