Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’
(03-09-2021, 01:39 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think my biggest problem is that we should not control any territory without it being a state. That's my position. Citizens of Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the Northern Mariana Islands, the Virgin Islands, and all the minor outlying islands are provided different privileges and immunities than citizens of the states making up the United States. This flies in the face of the ideals of the founding of this country and of western democracy. If they aren't states, then they shouldn't be a part of the US. I would like to see legislation stating that by 01 January, 2023, every one of those territories will hold a referendum on their desire to seek statehood or independence and that outcome would take effect as of 01 January, 2025.

Just a question, why would the residents of those places get the only say in their achieving statehood?  Should not the rest of the US states get a say in this?  Statehood carries with it a lot of political power, by design.  It's not something to be granted lightly.  How about we let Hawaii vote on not being a state anymore?  I think it's very possible that vote would end with a leave result, why is no one pushing that?

https://www.civilbeat.org/2020/03/full-independence-for-hawaii-looks-unfeasible-for-now/

Quote:For DC, I think the question should be remain as a city, statehood, or incorporation into Maryland.

The easiest, by far, resolution to this issue is incorporation in Maryland or Virginia.  The fact that not a single Democrat (that I am aware of) is advocating for either of these solutions speaks volumes.

Hey, while we're at it, let's get the state of Jefferson going again!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_(proposed_Pacific_state)
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’ - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 03-09-2021, 08:18 PM