Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’
(03-09-2021, 08:57 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Personally, I'm in favor of allowing states to secede. The reason I am in favor of the citizens of these territories having the say in it is because they are the ones that have been living in this territorial situation for so long. I think they should be given the opportunity to choose the destiny of their land. Technically speaking, the states would have their say if the legislation were passed.

Of course you are, Virginian. Mad

But we're not letting you do that again.

But seriously, I am somewhat surprised you'd favor that "right," given the constant instability the U.S. experienced during its first 80 years because of threats of secession from both northern and southern states. And then the Great War of Northern Aggression.

(03-09-2021, 08:57 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Well, easiest isn't necessarily accurate. There is a lot of nuance there that complicates things. Honestly, even statehood for the city itself is a less than appealing thing, to me. I'm in favor of them having congressional representation, but I want more of a federal hand in the governance of the area than is typically seen with a state.

As for any other states, all for it. Change it all up. Imaginary lines running along mountain ridges, rivers, or just drawn on flat earth are arbitrary, anyway.

I think the original impetus for a special district was to keep states from squabbling over North vs South "ownership."

Perhaps that is a dead issue now. 

I don't want to think of the District as another state, and I don't want it absorbed into Maryland. (If anything, make VA give back Alexandria county.) Retain fed control maybe, but give them two senators and keep the three electors.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’ - Dill - 03-10-2021, 01:02 PM