Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Return of the Talking Filibuster?
(03-10-2021, 03:15 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think the biggest plus for removing the filibuster is to clear the roadblock in Congress and let politicians show what they truly believe. Under a filibustered Congress, politicians from both sides can wantonly allude to what they "would do" if it weren't for the filibuster. I'd like to see politicians put their money where their mouth is. So many people in 2016 wanted a change from the typical politician because they felt that the government wasn't working for them and a lot of that had to do less with what policies and laws were made and more how little was getting done in general. We have these glaring and obvious issues that both sides claim they can fix if they just had the chance. If we removed the filibuster, we could actually test these policies and see how effective they are.

That's, honestly, the best reason to remove the filibuster, in my opinion. With a Congress that can't do anything, it's hard to tell who is to blame. If the filibuster is removed we'd actually start truly holding the majority leaders to account for the policies and laws they pass, good or bad. And I think, while it may have a bit of a rough transition as new laws are passed and efficiency tested, would ultimately lead to a more functional and responsive government that could address the country's needs in real time rather than having to wait 2 years to maybe get enough seats to pass something, only for something else to come up that further delays the promised policies.

Well said to the bolded. I'd only add that the "government isn't working" was incentive for many to send even worse politicians to Washington to block governance.

Totally agree with you on the filibuster.  Rough transition? Likely, but far better in the long run.

Yes. Address the country's needs in real time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Return of the Talking Filibuster? - Au165 - 03-08-2021, 11:00 AM
RE: Return of the Talking Filibuster? - Dill - 03-10-2021, 05:04 PM