Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’
(03-10-2021, 03:51 PM)hollodero Wrote: I don't see Puerto Rico statehood as a slippery slope leading to California splintering up.

Essentially it would trigger a tit for tat scenario.  Rural CA has expressed immense frustration with being dictated to by the cities for numerous decades.  This isn't a new argument and Puerto Rican statehood would only reawaken it, with a vengeance IMO.

Quote:I know why it tilts that way. It's just an argument why two Puerto Rican senators that potentially are blue imho is not a power grab, in the sense that it would not result in an overall advantage. If anything, it would narrow the overall advantage the GOP has.

It is if the people advocating for it are the ones benefitting from it.  If the Dems saw Puerto Rico as politically purple then they wouldn't be advocating for it.

Quote:Well, the 2020 one was worded "Should Puerto Rico be admitted immediately into the Union as a State?" I'd think that's fine.
And given that the question was never posed in that manner and that the last at least somewhat conclusive result dates back to 1998, I'd consider it fine to accept that result - or at least use it as basis for a binding referendum a la Brexit.

I'd disagree.  The referendum should clearly delineate what Puerto Rico will lose and what it will gain via statehood.  Presenting people with a choice without explaining the consequences of said choice, both for and against, is dishonest (not the same as lying btw  Cool ).

Quote:Well, summarizing all I've said to that, I don't think so.
I don't believe any other mainland US citizen would be fine with just voting for their local government either, even if the powers of said government were enhanced to Puerto Rico levels (and from what I understand, a normal US states' authority is not that far less that Puerto Rico's). AS US citizen, you want your representation in Washington and you want a say in presidential elections. I deem that basic.

Sure, and I would be interested in your thoughts on a time limit between such referendums.  Also, forgive me for not addressing every point you made in this post.  I felt that on some of the topics we were both repeating ourselves, so I confined my response to areas where I thought future discussion would engender some progress.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’ - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 03-10-2021, 05:10 PM