Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’
(03-10-2021, 11:58 PM)Dill Wrote: I think absorption rectifies the issue for the national GOP.

It actually solves it for everyone.  The stated grievance from D.C. is that they lack federal representation.  Absorption into an exiting state resolves that issue entirely.

Quote:I can't say anything substantive on the issue, beyond what I already have, until

DC residents and MD residents poll and debate the issue, then debate each other,

then, if there is a will to change anything, bring their data and arguments to Congress for a final debate.

Until something like that happens, we can't know what the concerned parties really want, 

or what "unknown unknowns" might yet come out. 

The residents of D.C. have stated they want representation in the Federal government.  This is a legitimate concern.  That said, how they achieve that representation is very much not for them to solely decide.  In essence the stated solution will tell anyone paying attention what the real goal is.  If that goal is, as stated, proper representation, then absorption into a different state would perfectly resolve their stated grievance.  If the proposed solution is statehood for D.C. then the goal is not actually representation, it's increased political power.  Absorption is easily the simplest solution (D.C. could even maintain autonomy from the state government in some ways) and would give the area more HoR seats as well.  Of course we know the Dems will push for statehood because representation is not their real concern, expanding their power is. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’ - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 03-11-2021, 11:53 AM