Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’
(03-11-2021, 11:53 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It actually solves it for everyone.  The stated grievance from D.C. is that they lack federal representation.  Absorption into an exiting state resolves that issue entirely.

The residents of D.C. have stated they want representation in the Federal government.  This is a legitimate concern.  That said, how they achieve that representation is very much not for them to solely decide.  In essence the stated solution will tell anyone paying attention what the real goal is.  If that goal is, as stated, proper representation, then absorption into a different state would perfectly resolve their stated grievance.  If the proposed solution is statehood for D.C. then the goal is not actually representation, it's increased political power.  Absorption is easily the simplest solution (D.C. could even maintain autonomy from the state government in some ways) and would give the area more HoR seats as well.  Of course we know the Dems will push for statehood because representation is not their real concern, expanding their power is. 

As I said. Easiest solution for the National GOP. 

It is not clear how people who don't have representation can get it without expanding real, effective power somewhere. I don't see why wanting "increased political power" is a bad thing for people who have not had it, for representation and power are the same thing in politics. E.g., it wouldn't make sense to say that when women pushed for the vote in 1919, their goal was only "representation," not increased political power. Increased political power is always the goal of representation. 

Absorption into an existing state doesn't resolve the issue entirely unless administration from Annapolis is the representation people of DC want, and the people of MD want to suddenly share power with, and responsibility for, a large new voting block.

The debates I alluded to above would generate the knowledge needed to make informed choices likely to work for all parties. Until they occur, and reach sufficient length, I am not prepared to decide for those people what is the "simplest solution" for them. 

Short of this knowledge, absorption is the "simplest solution" only for those trying to keep DC representation/voting power limited.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’ - Dill - 03-11-2021, 12:17 PM