Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’
(03-11-2021, 08:06 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Again, not an argument against absorption into an exiting state.  No one has advanced why creating a new state for one city is in any way preferable to having that city incorporated into another, pre-existing, state.  Unless you're a Democrat and want the two automatic Senators that a voting population that votes ~90% Democrat.  Which is also a heavy argument for why absorption into an already deep blue state would not "dilute" anything.

It's interesting that, recently, when Democrats don't get what they want they seek to change the rules.  Don't like two POTUS elections, let's get rid of the Electoral College!  Don't like the SCOTUS make up, let's add more justices that we can appoint!  Don't like the Senate working as designed, let's add more states from heavily blue areas!  It's not a good look.

It's so blatantly obvious that I doubt many people are blind to it. 

Well, that would be because I'm not arguing against the absorption position, I am saying that the whole "outsized power" argument is flawed.

Also, don't act like this is a Democrat thing. There are so many attempts at disenfranchising voters going on right now in Republican states all over this country that it is sickening. Georgia Republicans are scrambling to undo laws that they put in place because they no longer help them. My positions on this are consistent: I want to improve representation and improve our democracy. More power in the hands of the people. At least I'm not trying to suppress votes to get my side to win, stripping people of their rights.

And I know you're not a full on Republican, it just rubs me the wrong way how you are completely ignoring what is going on right now in this country.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’ - Belsnickel - 03-11-2021, 08:28 PM