Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’
(03-12-2021, 03:45 PM)Dill Wrote: I am still defending the electoral college.

Yes, you have been very consistent in that regard.

Quote:But to be fair, Dems "don't like the SCOTUS make up" because the leader of a superminority, controlling the Senate, used that power to block one president's rightful appointment (arguing we needed to wait a year for an election), and then forgot that rule to rush through a third appointment for the superminority's president a month before an election. 

So now we have an imbalanced court, favoring the superminority, likely for a decade.

It wasn't a "super minority", that's a talking point used to discredit the intent of the Senate.  It was the majority who made that decision.  While I understand the frustration created by the majority's action in these cases, they clearly operated within the pre-established rules.

Quote:And actually, I think the Dems would love a return to the Senate "working as designed."

No, they clearly wouldn't hence the obvious power grabs being advocated by them.

Quote:The filibuster developed to protect the slave owning, and then the segregation supporting, minority.
It is the ability of the superminority to hold the entire country hostage via the filibuster
that has made "outsize" representation such an urgent issue.

More talking points.  Mentioning hot button issues like slavery does not impress me as an argument and is a clear appeal to emotion.  Using terms like super minority do not impress me as an argument and is a clear attempt to denigrate the Senate as designed.  As stated in my post, which you didn't even bother trying to refute, the Dems have routinely, of late, complained about the rules when things didn't go their way and then sought to change them to their benefit.  You don't mind because you fall in line with them ideologically.  Anyone who deviates from their party orthodoxy should be concerned as it exposes a clear willingness to change any rules they like to achieve their goals. I have a feeling if the GOP was doing this you'd be comparing them to Nazis or screaming bloody murder.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gov. Pedro Pierluisi: ‘Puerto Rico will be the first truly Hispanic state’ - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 03-12-2021, 04:13 PM