Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Will We See Any Cuts Before FA Opens?
(03-11-2021, 01:19 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Curious to hear from you on if you think we will see any cuts before next Weds (FA officially opens).

Fwiw, I'm always of the position that if you know for a fact a player is not in your future plans that you should always cut them prior to FA.  It does right by the player in giving them an equal chance with other FA's to get signed and to set the market.  If you dump a guy weeks after FA opens he's hitting a market that's now cheaper, and many teams will have already filled needs.

Plus, what benefit is there in waiting if you know the guy isn't going to be around?

I'll be interested to see if we have any cuts coming up.  If players aren't cut before Weds. then I have to believe we're still considering keeping them and it may be dependent on the market and their potential replacements.

If you see names like Atkins, Hart, Bernard, Uzomah, Hopkins, Price, and XSF all still here come Weds. I would have to think they all still have a very good chance to stick.  In fact, you're probably not going to see more than one or two of them get released later during FA, if any at all.  Some may not be purged until camp.

What do you guys think?  Are you suprised we haven't moved on from anyone yet?  Do you want us to make cuts before next week?  Anyone you'll be shocked by still being here this time next week?

Over the years I have read that there is a time when it is cheaper to cut players.  I remember it being after the Draft, maybe in May. The NFL had a time period when cutting most players did not have as much of a salary cap hit and had a cost saving side to it. I remember it came up once when Burfict was having some problems and this after the Draft period of cutting players came open, and reporters were saying now is the time.  So I think Bengals will cut some players by just letting them go in free agency, even if they can keep them cheap.  

I think the real question is do the Bengals resign anybody Monday or Tuesday before Free Agency Wednesday.   This is March.  Free Agency and the Draft in April. I think in May there may be some cuts if NFL still has this period where it is cheaper for teams to cut some players, which Mike Brown would like if it is cheaper then. 

So I would think NO on cutting players before Wednesday. They are going to be cutting players starting Wednesday anyway.  Ross is cutting players. He was drafted in 1st Round under Lewis.  Taylor got to where he didn't suit him up when healthy.  A healthy Ross not even put on roster to play if needed on game day, in street clothes. I would call that a cut of a player they do not want coming Wednesday as he becomes a free agent and Bengals no longer have to pay him and no cap hit. If the Bengals sign no one before Wednesday, 22 players are no longer on Bengals payroll Wednesday. That is the same as a cut, but with no cap hit. If Bengals would resign any, it would be a whole new contract, often a cheaper contract. Andre Smith was let go as an expensive top pick, but came back on the cheap a couple times.

My gut feeling is newer coach Taylor would love to bring in new players that he feels fit his system. All coaches want to do that. I think Taylor would love to rebuild the offense and defense from what he was handed in 2019, but it takes a few years due to high paid contracts needing to run out. 22 players are off the payroll Wednesday, mostly Coach Lewis players.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Will We See Any Cuts Before FA Opens? - kevin - 03-13-2021, 11:55 PM