Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bobby Hart has a higher PFF grade than most of the free agent guards
First of all it is hard to create stats for O-linemen.

I don't put a lot of weight in PFF individual ratings because it is highly subjective and their formula is flawed (one player can be ranked higher than another despite playing fewer snaps and messing up more often).

Even more objective stats like "sacks allowed" and "pressures" are not exact because observers can not always tell which player was supposed to block which rusher.

The nextgen stat "pass block win percentage" is very interesting, but I can't find full lists on that.

I have not seen all the data from 2020, but based on a lot of different sources like "penalties", "sacks allowed", "blown blocks" (from footballoutsiders), in addition to the PFF ratings it was clear that Bobby Hart was pure garbage in 2018, but improved dramatically in 2019.  And from what I have seen so far of the 2020 numbers it looks like he will be about the same as he was in 2019.

Most people hate Bobby for 2 reasons.  

First, they can't get over 2018.  This has happened with a lot of players over the years and is completely understandable. First impressions are very powerful.  For years people here claimed Andrew Whitworth could not handle speed rushers and needed to be moved to OG just because he got abused by Mathis as a rookie.  And People claimed Leon hall was too slow because he got beaten by Ted Ginn in college.

Second, they judge him based on a handful of very bad misses.  But the fact is that If I just showed you Joe Burrows 5 or 6 worst plays of the year he would look like trash also.

My opinion of Bobby Hart is that he is an average starting OT.  I would not mind if we upgraded him, but it won't be as easy (or cheap) as a lot of people think.  PFF ranked him as the #40 OT in the league and by the end of free agency he will probably be about the #40 paid OT in 2020.  He is currently the 32nd highest paid OT which is still not far from #40.  He definitely is not the bum many people here claim, and our OGs were a much bigger problem last year.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bobby Hart has a higher PFF grade than most of the free agent guards - fredtoast - 03-14-2021, 11:30 AM