Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The long Western legacy of violence against Asian Americans
(03-15-2021, 10:53 PM)hollodero Wrote: The underlying issue is xenophobia, which probably is more of an issue within the right than within the left. I mean, no matter any initial intention, in the end it's always about that question, isn't it, I just shortcut it here. Is it the right or is it the left, dicuss everything under that lens.

I think this is one of those issues in which your being European is going to hinder your understanding.  There is a huge current of racism in the US and its tributaries flow through all ethnicities.  Europe has been largely homogenous until very recently, and look how many fissures this change has, and is, causing.  Now understand that this process has been going on in the US, to varying degrees, for well over a hundred years.  There is very deep seated racism in minority communities here (as well as majority communities, but that is discussed constantly) and it affects people on a daily basis.  I've shared the story before, but the most openly racist thing I've ever heard someone utter in person was a Hispanic mother talking about her black neighbors.  That there is deep seated racism against Asians in other minority communities in the US is common knowledge, the media just pretends it doesn't exist.

This all goes back to my original point.  Are the attacks on Asians something you want to actually stop or not?  If the answer is yes then you've got to address the whole issue, not just what is palatable to your editors.  Failing to address the issue, in its entirety, is the same as not addressing the issue at all.  There's a very common trend in the media here, if it's not a white person doing it than it can't be racist.  This is obviously as ridiculous as it is impossible, but it is Biblical truth to many here, which is why things only continue to worsen.  GM is a perfect example of this, he's so terrified of being labeled an enemy that he'll parrot anything he's told to ensure he's seen as an ally.  The minute you start ignoring unpalatable evidence is the moment you stop trying to seek true answers, and he stopped trying a hell of a long time ago.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The long Western legacy of violence against Asian Americans - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 03-16-2021, 12:47 AM