Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Continuing to Put Money into a Clunker
Have you ever gotten to the point where it just makes no sense to continue to have repairs done to an older car? Where putting another 800 dollars into a two thousand dollar car doesn't make sense, because you know another repair is just around the corner. I'm sure most of us have.

Why put in more money into repairs when the repairs becomes a greater than the value of the car? Why not take those same dollars and invest them into a newer car, where there's greater value? Right? Even a guy like has enough economic sense to know it's evident that my dollars are being wasted and better spent elsewhere.

Well, I think that analogy is discussion worthy because it's how I view are approach to letting players play out their contracts. See Leon Hall as a recent example, and Mauluga and Pac-Man for likely future examples.

Why put 10 mil dollars into Rey and Adam (their potential cap savings) when you can put into another player (another car). Why waste money on something that's clearly not worth it?

Spare me the business of "honoring a deal". Players getting cut is a big factor in the bonuses. You pay a premium (signing bonus) for the ability to part ways at your choosing. It's built into the system. That's why you paid Antonio Bryant 7 mil for nothing. They get a guarantee, you get control of their rights for the next however many years. Not taking advantage of being able to cut bait early is completely illogical.

Every contract they pay out, where they take on the initial risk, pays into it being completely fair. Like it or not, that's the business in this day and age. Adopting some out-dated and stubborn logic that there's honor in seeing a deal through is plain stupid. It became stupid a long time ago. For every guy that gets cut early there's another guy like Ryan Leaf or Brady Quinn or got a big guarantee for next to nothing.

Personally, I this franchise is so stubborn and hell-bent on doing things their way, that they would sooner pay a guy in house money for nothing than move those dollars over to the outside. It doesn't matter if Free Agent B is better, all that matters is their approach. They'd sooner burn a stack of money to have Mauluga sucks ass than try to modernize their approach. Because that's just how they do things. Similar to an man, stuck in his ways. Logic be damned. Sad thing is, this isn't an old man that won't use a cell phone. It's a billion dollar business who values comfort over business sense.

Hope you enjoy that new set of tires and water pump on the 1997 Ford Taurus that is Rey Mauluga. Some may say it's a waste of money. Some may also say that you're driving a piece of shit. Either way, you'd be better off getting a car made this millennium.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Continuing to Put Money into a Clunker - Wes Mantooth - 03-01-2017, 11:27 PM