Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All this talk about what positions the Bengals value got me thinking
Does anyone really know what positions the Bengals or any team value?

All this Free agency iv been hearing the phrase "The Bengals don't value interior lineman" a lot and it got me thinking which positions we DO value. We clearly USED to value the WR position because for the most part I remember us always having a good amount of money locked up in the position at any one time up until the year TJ Houshmanzadeh left. After that you see if become totally content with our format of 1 great WR then 3 other cheap role player types.

Actually around this time a lot of what we did began to revolve more operating at the lowest cost possible. Just a quick snapshot of the 2005-2006 teams that for all intents and purposes was a player in the superbowl picture if Carson didn't go down in the 1st. That team had a high paid offensive line, and high paid secondary and the skill position starters were all high paid. The positions we clearly saved money on was TE, FB, LB, and D line.

That trend went on for a couple years then starting in about 2011 it seems like we stopped valuing every position but QB. We drafted Dalton and AJ Green that year and its clear. When you look at the roster year by year from 2006 to 2011 and you check the departures and signings its very clear. EXACTLY in 2011 someone in the front office(Mike Brown) changed the philosophy to build completely through the draft. After 2011 we didn't even TRY to hit on big free agents. After 2011 we stopped locking up big money in one position NO MATTER WHAT POSITION IT WAS. I mean we went full bargain bin at WR. We had the nerve to start Armon Binns at WR. At this point the only positions with big money locked up are offensive line and defensive line. Then year by year up until 2016 we see a sharp decline in valuing of certain positions and the team mindset turns to 'build through the draft while attempting to safeguard money as much as possible". It hurt us that we had some amazing drafts before the Andy AJ draft and had another decent one right after, because Mike Brown used those drafts to give the illusion that his plan was working. At the start of this build through the draft shift of focus, we had a leftover offensive and defensive line that was proven. As we changed those pieces we start to see Mikes plan get exposed.

As of now the only positions we value despite financial considerations are QB and WR. We have shifted focus away from what made us so amazing when we had a top 5 o line in the NFL and have turned into a cheap excuse for a franchise that says stupid shit like "We don't value interior lineman"

And ppl wonder why we cant win a playoff game. Everyone in the franchise simply isn't willing to do what it takes to make it happen
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
All this talk about what positions the Bengals value got me thinking - Housh - 03-25-2017, 12:51 AM