Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IF You Ever Wonder About the Bengals Not Having Any Money
(03-31-2017, 05:56 PM)jowczarski Wrote: @ShakeNBlake – you might have to refresh my memory on for “excuses” that have been used in my three years on the beat. That’s all I can speak to.  See below re: spending on the team.

I don’t think I’ve heard money being an “excuse” for the way the organization is structured, either. Mike has his reasons, but I’ve never heard one of those reasons being financial. And this is all from off record conversations. Now, talking to guys from the 80s and 90s, ya, some of the corners that were cut were ridiculous. But from my POV now, I’m not sure where money is being used as an excuse for anything related to the on-field product.

@depthchart
The Bengals ranked 9th in the NFL in spending over the last five years, per the NFLPA. And trust me, they count every dollar. The Bengals are not cheap when it comes to player salaries, despite the narrative. Every agent I’ve talked to over the years, whether their client has come, gone or stayed, has never used that word with me.

I have no idea what Mike's motivations are for keeping a small personnel department and scouting staff, and not building a practice facility. My educated guess (based on tidbits I've read) is that he's stubbornly old school when it comes to players practicing in elements. Money could be a factor - and let's be honest - if it is, it's not like any of us will ever know. That's just not something he'd admit to. Same deal with the small personnel and scouting staffs.

I wasn't singling you out with the "excuses" remark, Jim. I just feel there's some folks on here who will take what you said and run with it, using it as an excuse for how Mike runs things.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: IF You Ever Wonder About the Bengals Not Having Any Money - Shake n Blake - 03-31-2017, 11:02 PM