Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Bengals to use draft’s ninth pick in unBengal fashion"
(04-28-2017, 07:44 AM)sonofstat Wrote: - Draft history of late rising WR speedsters -  to a certain extent if John Ross does not disappoint he is bucking a trend.  Yes there are always WR busts but the ones who in the top 10 succeed tend to be the long admired, fully rounded traditional WR1s (AJ,  Amari Cooper, Julio).  If you look back at similar smaller WR's who tore up the 40 yard dash and rose late in the draft process then the success/bust balance is not so good.  Tavon Austin , Ted Ginn, Darrius Heyward-Bey were selected in the 7-9 range.

This is, easily, my biggest cause for concern with the pick.

But then I think "Well, Antonio Brown and DeSean Jackson would have been top 10 picks if the draft were done over for their respective years, so it's not like small fast receivers are bad in the NFL in general."

And, to be fair to Ross, he is a vastly superior prospect to Ginn, Heyward Bey and Austin. He is noted for having reliable hands (Weakness for all 3), he is an exceptional route runner (weakness for all 3), he's bigger than Ginn and Austin, each of whom weighed in the 170s at draft time and he actually produced at an elite level in his final year of college, unlike Heyward Bey and Ginn, who never surpassed 1,000 yards or 9 touchdowns in any one year.

I'm worried, but optimistic.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Bengals to use draft’s ninth pick in unBengal fashion" - CJD - 04-28-2017, 08:52 AM