Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wasn't a fan. With draft grades!
(05-01-2017, 01:47 AM)Benton Wrote: Not bad points. For discussion sake:
1. Our offense had a lot of problems. WR talent was maybe fourth out of four areas (line, predictable playcalling, redzone play, WRs). Our DL on the other hand was pretty much two guys doing the job of four. One of those guys not doing as much (Peko) is gone with a question makr in his place. The other (MJ) has some left in the tank, but he needs to be a part of a bigger rotation.

And honestly, I haven't seen much of a draft strategy the last several years. It was our strong point up until about the AJ/Andy draft. Since then, we gamble and haven't been hitting like we used to.

As far as the assumption on WR over DE to get more of an impact, eh, I'll disagree. There's a chance Ross won't play much this season. In the draft they were talking about him possibly starting PUP. He won't start over LaFell or Green. Boyd is (presumably) healthy, has a good skillset and a year on him. So, best case, he comes in for a few downs when we're up, or he replaces someone injured. He's a pick for down the road, as opposed to guys who could have started rotating in on the DL as soon as possible.

And since when does leading in redzone TDs "debunk" that he's more than a speed guy? Speed doesn't help score in the redzone? I didn't say he was only a deep threat, I said his only tool is his speed. He's not good at selling or adjusting to bad throws, hes a guy that gets to where he needs to be quickly. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's not a knock. But smart, experienced NFL corners are going to know where he's going, get there before him and get a hand in his face. 

2. Experienced coming off an injury is different than inexperienced. Experienced players know how to get the job done even if they have lost a step. Not really having any cake, just the difference in relying on a pro with an injury and gambling on a rookie with one.

3. Maybe. It'll be a couple years before we know. I hope you're correct, but I would temper that with the last time they tried that strategy at DE, we got... Margus Hunt.

That's my trepidation. 

I don't mind if we take later round picks to fill spots of need, but you can't take  project, wait four years and take another. 

4. We're banking a lot on "he only fell because of injuries." Sometimes it pans out, and sometimes we get Ogbuehi as a tackle.

5. I'd disagree. I think Green, LaFell, Boyd and Core is a pretty reliable four; beyond that, we had some options. I'm not opposed to this pick, I just don't see him making the team. Most likely practice squad, and most likely gone.

7. I'm ok with the pick. Like I said, he's an area of need. I just wish we'd taken a better one. 

8. Elflein is going to play guard or center in the next few years. Dielmann is going to fill out a roster until his rookie contract expires. Elfein was one of the few safe picks in the draft and fit the Bengals' philosophy of 'just plug him in somewhere.' And, no, I'm not an OSU fan. I'm a Golden Domer. But Elfein was still my favorite OL pick out of this draft as far as ceiling and versatility. 

1.Going with your ranking of offensive issues, Ross helps in all of those areas.  His speed on the outside helps keep S's out of the box and makes people think twice about blitzing, which helps the OL.  Predictable playcalling is often a symptom of a lack of offensive talent.  You're wasting your time running reverses, tunnel screens, and jet sweeps with LaFell and Boyd because they don't have the ability to do much damage.  Ross is a guy that they're going to be drawing plays up for to get the ball in his hands, which makes the offense less predictable.  Again, Ross led the nation in red zone TD's last year with 12, so he will help address the red zone issues.  Of course, he's a WR, so he helps in that area.

Generally, Top 10 picks have been immediate starters under Lewis.  However, you can just as easily make the argument that a DE would be stuck behind MJ, a LB would be stuck behind Minter and Burfict, or a S would ride the pine behind Williams and Iloka.

Ross says he'll be ready by the start of camp.  If there are setbacks, I can see him possible missing some of TC, but the chances of him being PUP'd are remote.  Again, the draft pundits do not get the full medical the teams get.  Besides which, most of the top prospects this year have medical concerns.

2.I love Gio, but he's heading into his 5th year, which is where a lot of backs hit the wall, just had a career low for ypc, and is coming off a major injury.  On top of that, Hill has been consistently dinged up and missing time since his rookie year.  Adding a legitimate Top 10 talent at RB is a no brainer.  Going back to predictable playcalling, you can run any plays that you had in the playbook for Gio, Hill, or Rex with Mixon.  The D can't eliminate possibilities based on the back.

3.Hunt was a massive project player that failed. There's really no similarity to Willis.  Willis is a late 1st talent in a draft class that isn't so loaded at DE.

4.Of 12 picks, 3 have medical flags.  Lawson was healthy and produced at a high level last year.  Og came with a medical red shirt and got moved around.

5.Last year, the Bengals wanted speed at WR, and were unable to get it.  This year, they got guys that have the speed to do what Zampese wants to run.  Hard to bag on the play calling when you don't have the talent to run what the OC wants.

8.I don't see how Elflein was a safe pick.  As soon as he faced pro ready DT's against Michigan and Clemson, he gave up 3 sacks in 2 games.  He's topped out athletically and has a low ceiling.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - Benton - 04-30-2017, 09:56 PM
RE: Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - Whatever - 05-01-2017, 02:20 PM
RE: Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - 3wt - 05-01-2017, 01:18 PM
Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - BenZoo2 - 05-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - BenZoo2 - 05-01-2017, 12:26 PM
RE: Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - CJD - 05-01-2017, 10:43 PM
RE: Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - J24 - 05-01-2017, 11:06 PM
Wasn't a fan. With draft grades! - BenZoo2 - 05-01-2017, 11:29 PM